We are a group of computer and technology enthusiasts based in Barcelona. We design and redesign DIY projects that can be built with tools available everywhere.
+34 93 590 39 39
Call us Monday - Friday: 10:00 - 18:00 (GMT +1)
BuildTak works with ABS, PLA, HIPS, PET+, Brick, Wood & Flexible (TPE) filaments; Nylon and t-glase (PETT) can also work when used with a thin layer of washable glue stick on the BuildTak surface.
1. Wipe down your bare build platform making sure it is clean and free of debris.
2. Trim the BuildTak sheet to match the size of your build plate (if not already).
3. Remove the white adhesive liner and apply the BuildTak sheet to the bare build plate. Start from one edge of the build plate and work your way to the other edge, smoothing the BuildTak sheet with a credit card or decal applicator.
4. Re-level your surface and ensure that the nozzle height is properly set (usually between .10 – .25mm).
To ensure the longevity of the BuildTak sheet, use a spatula or putty knife with smooth/rounded corners. Avoid using solvents, such as acetone, to clean it.
Why BuildTak is superior over masking tape and heat-resistant films?
• BuildTak sheets are more rigid and therefore much easier to install or apply to the bare build plate than marking tape or kapton and much less susceptible to air bubbles getting trapped beneath the surface.
• BuildTak is more durable in nature so it is more effective in protecting the build plate and with proper use can significantly outlast the typical cycle time of either kapton or masking tape.
• It does not require any special treatment or finessing (ie. the use of lacquer, acetone slurry, printing rafts, etc). Once you have the crucial step of setting nozzle height just right, BuildTak just works.
• BuildTak works for both ABS and PLA, which means if you are using a printer that can print in either of these materials it is not necessary to change the surface between builds. Heated print beds are not a problem, BuildTak is composed of high quality raw materials and is designed to withstand the high temperatures of a typical FFF 3D printer (up to 125ºC heated print bed)
• If/when you are ready to replace the BuildTak sheet, it comes off clean and easy in one piece, leaving no residue behind from the adhesive.